birding-aus

RFI: Rental Car for Getting Around Cairns

To: "Dean Portelli" <>, <>
Subject: RFI: Rental Car for Getting Around Cairns
From: "Billinghurst, David (RTATECH)" <>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 20:48:40 +1100
> From: Dean Portelli
>
>  I am planning on spending a week in and around Cairns at the
> end of the month and wonder if an ordinary 2-wheel drive will
> be fine getting around the Atherton Tableland, Mt Lewis and
> the like. Or should I upgrade to a bigger (more expensive) beast?
>  Any comments, welcome.
>
> Cheers,
> Dean

Should be fine in a 2wd, provided you are sensible.

You need to read the fine print to see exactly where you can take the
car.
Each vendor has different limits and many do not allow a 2wd on dirt
roads,
over the Daintree ferry, west and/or north of certain points, etc.  Mt
Lewis
could be a problem from this aspect.  We went with either Hertz or Avis
(forget
which) as they allowed a little bit of dirt on the way to recognised
tourist
destinations and accomodation.

I rang the Cairns (Airport) office of each of the vendors before I
booked, after
checking on the web sites, to discuss my planned route with each of
them.
I am glad I did as the car suffered minor damage on the way into Undara
lava tubes. (Clipped a rock with the air dam while avoiding a cow).

Also, many travel insurance policies cover the excess on the hire car at
significantly cheaper rate than the car rental places charge.  I think
it
cost me around $120 for two weeks for a domestic policy that covered the
family
for cancellation, theft, hire car etc, etc.  Successfully claimed on it
too.

        David

This email is confidential and may also be privileged.  If you are not the
intended recipient, please notify us immediately and delete this message from
your system without first printing or copying it. Any personal data in this
email (including any attachments) must be handled in accordance with the Rio
Tinto Group Data Protection Policy and all applicable data protection laws.