birding-aus

Facebook, Birding Australia Wide and Birding Aus

To: "'Alistair McKeough'" <>, "'Katherine Bronte'" <>
Subject: Facebook, Birding Australia Wide and Birding Aus
From: "Paul Dodd" <>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 17:23:13 +1000
I'm no Facebook apologist, but after reading the excerpt from Alistair's
email, I thought I'd do a little research. The full text for the section
dealing with user content on Facebook from their Terms of Use is reproduced
below (I'm probably in breach of all sorts of copyright by doing this).

The pertinent points are:

* That you, as the user, warrant that you have THE RIGHT to post the
material, and given that Facebook may incorporate that material in various
consolidated or derivative content, that you have THE RIGHT to authorise
Facebook to do this.

* Facebook does not assume ownership over the content, as evidenced in their
statement, " Facebook does not assert any ownership over your User Content"
in paragraph two below.

* You may remove the content from Facebook at any time - in which case the
licence that you grant to Facebook to produce consolidated or derivative
content is revoked, however, you acknowledge that Facebook can and will
retain archived copies of the content.

In short, it appears that you are granting Facebook the right to use the
content in all manner of ways, for the duration that the content is posted.
That licence is revoked on removing the content from Facebook.

I don't think that I'd post anything of commercial value, but low resolution
photos would probably be quite OK.

--------------------------------------

User Content Posted on the Site

You are solely responsible for the photos, profiles (including your name,
image, and likeness), messages, notes, text, information, music, video,
advertisements, listings, and other content that you upload, publish or
display (hereinafter, "post") on or through the Service or the Site, or
transmit to or share with other users (collectively the "User Content"). You
may not post, transmit, or share User Content on the Site or Service that
you did not create or that you do not have permission to post. You
understand and agree that the Company may, but is not obligated to, review
the Site and may delete or remove (without notice) any Site Content or User
Content in its sole discretion, for any reason or no reason, including User
Content that in the sole judgment of the Company violates this Agreement or
the Facebook Code of Conduct, or which might be offensive, illegal, or that
might violate the rights, harm, or threaten the safety of users or others.
You are solely responsible at your sole cost and expense for creating backup
copies and replacing any User Content you post or store on the Site or
provide to the Company.

When you post User Content to the Site, you authorize and direct us to make
such copies thereof as we deem necessary in order to facilitate the posting
and storage of the User Content on the Site. By posting User Content to any
part of the Site, you automatically grant, and you represent and warrant
that you have the right to grant, to the Company an irrevocable, perpetual,
non-exclusive, transferable, fully paid, worldwide license (with the right
to sublicense) to use, copy, publicly perform, publicly display, reformat,
translate, excerpt (in whole or in part) and distribute such User Content
for any purpose, commercial, advertising, or otherwise, on or in connection
with the Site or the promotion thereof, to prepare derivative works of, or
incorporate into other works, such User Content, and to grant and authorize
sublicenses of the foregoing. You may remove your User Content from the Site
at any time. If you choose to remove your User Content, the license granted
above will automatically expire, however you acknowledge that the Company
may retain archived copies of your User Content. Facebook does not assert
any ownership over your User Content; rather, as between us and you, subject
to the rights granted to us in these Terms, you retain full ownership of all
of your User Content and any intellectual property rights or other
proprietary rights associated with your User Content.

It's your life. Just make sure you read and understand the terms of service.
Anything you post (including all those photos of their kids people like to
put up) belong to the Face Borg.

And if you're not sharing real information, what's the point?

Have fun.

2008/9/3 Katherine Bronte <>

> Just a quick congratulations to Kurtis and Russell for the birding groups
> on
> Facebook. It is lovely to see that both groups are being joined. And for
> those who are dubious about Facebook.....you are the master of your own
> profile!!
>
> A positive thought on a wee bit  gloomy of a day in Newcastle!
>
> Katherine
> to:
4:13 PM