birding-aus

Water tanks and wildlife (Victoria)

To: "Peter Shute" <>, <>
Subject: Water tanks and wildlife (Victoria)
From: "Bill Stent" <>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 11:56:54 +1000
I think part of the problem is the propensity to have a "flash" flood.

If you reduce the ratio of water permeable ground (grass, trees, etc) to
non-permeable ground (concrete, roads, roofing, etc) the runoff from a
sudden downpour tends to rush to the waterways, causing a sudden and
violent torrent.  Tanks would help to hold this up, by taking out the
first rush of water (which may or may not be the whole amount).  A
prolonged rain event would tend to be less violent and would still
refresh the waterways, clearing out areas of stagnant or more toxic
water.

This doesn't solve the whole problem, which would involve diverting as
much runoff from all sources to more extensive land as possible.
Difficult in an increasingly dense urban environment.

Bill