birding-aus

Water tanks and wildlife (Victoria)

To: "Peter Shute" <>
Subject: Water tanks and wildlife (Victoria)
From: "Dave Torr" <>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 12:45:13 +1000
True - there are winners and losers in most things. It is clear that our
current use of water (at least in the Melbourne area and its catchments) is
unsustainable with a growing population and probable decrease in rainfall.
Desalination will involve getting very expensive water and lots of energy
use. Taking it from farmers will cause an outrage and raises issues of food
security. Improving irrigation channels by cutting losses will help - but
again if all irrigation channels were covered to stop evaporation then
wildlife would suffer. Sensible solution of course is to consume less.....