birding-aus

Birds 'caring' for each other

To: "'Bob Ashford'" <>, "'Birding- Aus'" <>
Subject: Birds 'caring' for each other
From: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 18:00:33 +1000
Hi Bob,

What an interesting observation. I can't comment on how common (or rare)
this behaviour is, but I've not seen it before.

What prompted me to write is that earlier this year I conducted a review of
the impacts of transparent or partly-transparent noise barriers along roads
on bird mortality.

As part of this review I was interested in finding out the actual causes of
death of birds striking windows and other transparent barriers. Veltri &
Klem (2005), the only study that I'm aware of that has forensically examined
victims of window strikes, state that the usual causes of death are head
trauma, intracranial pressure and blood in the brain. So I'm hoping that,
although your Eastern Spinebill regained consciousness and flew away, it did
not have significant haemorrhaging in the brain which may have caused it to
die later. Let us know if your friend sees this pair of birds again!

Kind regards,
Stephen

Stephen Ambrose,
Ryde, NSW

Reference:

Veltri, C.J. and Klem Jr, D. (2005). Comparison of fatal bird injures from
collisions with towers and windows. Journal of Field
Ornithology.76(2):127-133.