birding-aus

Murray lakes

To: <>
Subject: Murray lakes
From: "Steve Potter" <>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 09:43:55 +0930
Peter et al,

Questions in my mind.

I am under the impression from farmers over 60 years old who remember this
stuff, that prior to the building of weirs etc, the "river" Murray was
actually not a river all. It was in a time of abundance of rain, but in
times of some very dry seasons, just a series of pools. True??

As a surfer in this area I have many memories (last 25 years) of times when
the river mouth was closed and times when they opened the barrages (usually
around every 10 years) and cut a nice channel through the mouth. I know as
we all waited for it as it produced an excellent sand headland for surfing!!

With this in mind, is the current lack of water in the lower lakes such a
big deal? If the above is true then this has been happening for decades and
is cyclic??

If we look at the last flood stats over the last 60 years, there seems to
have been some big ones even in the 1990's so who to say we wont have
another "clean up" flood in the next 5 years??

Thoughts?

Steve Potter
Blackwood, South Australia