birding-aus

Albatrosses

To: "Dave Torr" <>, "John Tongue" <>
Subject: Albatrosses
From: "Greg & Val Clancy" <>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 17:03:31 +1000
Hi John,

Well if you want to be like most other people on this list just ignore C & B and tick to your hearts content!!! I don't know why C & B wasted so many months of their lives painstakingly revising their 1994 list. We don't need it - we have our 'Butterbums, Murray Magpies, Happy Families etc.' and if you put your head in the sand for long enough C & B just evaporates into a distant memory.

On a more serious note I did discuss the albatross taxonomy with Walter Boles and he made it clear that the genetic distances between the sub-species were not sufficient to support them being separated out as species. It is still good to note sub-species wherever possible though as different sub-species may be under different levels of threat or decline. Some are very hard to distinguish in the field though.

Greg Clancy