birding-aus

A Scrub Turkey anecdote and odd (?) Scrub Turkey behaviour

To: Syd Curtis <>, bird <>
Subject: A Scrub Turkey anecdote and odd (?) Scrub Turkey behaviour
From: inger vandyke <>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 08:56:55 +0000
Hi Syd,

We have just moved to a spot between Byron and the Gold Coast and we have a
mound about 10m away from our back door.  Mr Turk (I call him Testosteronus
maximus due to the size of his wattles) has been actively excavating and
renovating it since we arrived.  He catapults stuff all over the place,
sometimes with such vigour that he sends stuff flying around 2m into the air.

I have, however, noticed a couple of odd bits of behaviour which I hope some of
you can assist with (especially since I am a philistine of Scrub Turkey
activities).

1.  As I was unpacking boxes, I sat on the back step watching Test do his thing
while I ate an apple.  He dropped everything and came tearing over to me so
obviously the previous tenants have been feeding him.  I gave him a tiny piece
of apple (I know I shouldn't do this - sorry!) and he did something really
strange.  To eat it, he splayed his entire body out on the ground with his
wings out and wattles resting while he ate.  Is this normal?

2.  Do Scrub Turkeys also mate for life?

3.  There is a female hanging around but he chases her around relentlessly,
especially if she goes anywhere near his construction work.

4.  Is there a likelihood we'll have a family out the back?

Any thoughts or input from Scrub Turkey experts would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Inger

Inger Vandyke

Natural History Writer and Photographer

Publicity Officer - Southern Oceans Seabird Study Association (SOSSA)

Mob:  0402 286 437

www.ingervandyke.com