birding-aus

Hovering Kestrel?

To: "'John Tongue'" <>, <>
Subject: Hovering Kestrel?
From: "Paul Dodd" <>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 22:50:40 +1000
That's exactly right. You see this effect with both aeroplanes and
helicopters. For an aeroplane to fly really slowly, the angle of attack is
increased (the plane points upwards) - this results in increased drag (hence
the slower speed), lift is decreased because the airflow over the wings is
reduced and must be compensated for by increased power. The reason a plane
can't hover is because the only way that airflow occurs over the wings is by
forward movement. A bird generates lift by moving its wings (like a
helicopter generates lift by moving/rotating its "wings"). By adopting the
appropriate angle of attack (generally reflected in the body position of a
bird with respect to the ground), a bird can effectively hover by moving its
wings in such a way that lift exactly equals weight. The greater the
headwind, the lower the angle of attack - in other words, the more
horizontal the body position (or the flatter the flight mode). Sometimes you
just need a diagram!

I've seen this with Nankeen Kestrels - in conditions from high wind to
still.

Paul Dodd
Docklands, Melbourne