birding-aus

Hovering Kestrel?

Subject: Hovering Kestrel?
From: Gemfyre <>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 11:08:09 +0800

I was familiar with hovering kestrels before I even knew what a Black-shouldered Kite was (admittedly, I was probably seeing both beforehand and passed them all off as kestrels).

Kestrels tend to hover more horizontally, while BSKs tend to have their bodies at an angle to the ground.

Belinda
Doubleview, W.A.

On Wed Jul 16 10:17 , sent:

I was observing an Australian Kestrel on the eastern side of Prospect Reservoir
across the road from work and as it was gliding around at 10am hunting, it
occasionally stopped and hovered much like a Black-shouldered Kite would.

Is that a normal technique for hunting Kestrels? I was always under the impression
that the Black-shouldered Kites hovered but no other raptor could do that.
Any insights? Maybe I am just learning things that many people already know.

Thanks
Akos

http://australasiaforum.net/gallery/thumbnails.php\?album=20

to: m("vicnet.net.au','','','')","top.opencompose('birding-aus-request");">