birding-aus

Hovering Kestrel?

Subject: Hovering Kestrel?
From: "Chris Sanderson" <>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 14:07:19 +1000

Hi Andrew,

To add to your list I have seen many species of honeyeater hover in still air, some for impressively long amounts of time at blossoms.  Sunbirds, Silvereyes, Fantails, and Gerygones also make that list and I seem to recall seeing a thornbill hover once though I can't remember which species.  Possibly hovering for small birds in short bursts can be beneficial in terms of reaching better food resources, or even stretching and building flight muscles, despite the energy costs?

Regards,
Chris

I don't know if this is correct - as a variety of birds seem capable of
transient hovering - e.g I think I've seen spinebills, kingfishers,
tyrants and owls hover in still air - and of course hummingbirds.

Andrew