birding-aus

Bring Back the Sparrows?

To: Birding-Aus Aus <>
Subject: Bring Back the Sparrows?
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 11:14:53 +1000
Dear All,

In today's Sydney Morning Herald there is a special feature on the Australian Museum's new exhibition "Surviving Australia", which is great, as the exhibition appears to be excellent and is very timely. In the special feature, there is an article entitled "Where have all the Sparrows gone?", which talks about the great decline in House Sparrow numbers in the Sydney region and also in the rest of the world. This decline is a worry in the House Sparrows natural range and is so great in the UK, that I believe that the RSPB has a "Sparrow Desk" to handle the problem.

I very much support conservation of species, but the article raises an interesting point. In the article, an Australian Museum staff member, described as a Naturalist, is quoted as saying " little can be done to lure the Sparrows back". As House Sparrows are rapidly declining in their home territories, should measures be taken to to preserve their numbers in Australia and other parts of the world as conservation measures? Should other species which are feral pests in one location, but become endangered in their home territory be preserved, despite their pest status. With climatic change we are certain to see more instances such as this. A point to ponder.

Cheers,

Carl Clifford