birding-aus

Top Gear, birds and bears

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Top Gear, birds and bears
From: Paul Taylor <>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 09:18:32 +1000
Tony Russell wrote:
Doesn't this repeat on ABC2 tonight ?

No - it's an SBS program.

Clarkson's birding tendencies were hinted at in an earlier episode of
Top Gear, with Jamie Olivier as the "Star in a reasonably priced car"
discussing home-grown produce:

JC: "I grew a field of barley at my house and i didnt use fertilizer to
     be green and it all came up short and grey."

JO: "Why the hell were you growing barley?!"

JC: "Hmm...well...(Covers mouth to muffle words)  It was to attract a
     certain species of bird...I'm a bit of a birder...I'm an RSPB member!"

(Six acres of "soggy grey drinking straws" to be exact, "sold for exactly
£325 less than it cost to buy the seed and rent a combine harvester.")

I'm not sure if his reluctance to reveal he's a birder is because of his
well known antipathy towards Bill Oddie, or because some consider birding
to be as "uncool as caravaning".