birding-aus

Birding holiday

To: "Charla Strelan" <>, <>
Subject: Birding holiday
From: "Tim Dolby" <>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 18:39:08 +1000
Hi Charla,

Personally I reckon you're looking at either Lamington and SE Qld or Cairns,
both wonderful birding spots, both rainforest, contrasting nicely with the dry
heat of central Australia and Alice.

Lamington has lots of interesting bird such Rufous Scrub-bird, Albert's
Lyrebird, Noisy Pitta, Regent Bowerbird, Green Catbird, Pale-yellow Robin and
Logrunner. It's also not far from the Gold Coast, so you can take the kids to
one of "worlds" - such as SeaWorld - thus gaining important brownie bird
points. Stay at either Binna Burra or O'Rielly's. Both have camping. Binna
Burra has excellent kids activities, such as rock climbing and flying foxes -
so while they do that you bird to your hearts content.

If you are going to Cairns, stay at wonderful Kingfisher Park near Julatten!
The camping is great value, as are the rooms. Then bird in the local area such
as Mt Lewis. Birds include things like Golden Bowerbird, Tooth-billed
Bowerbird, Spotted Catbird, Victoria's Riflebird, Chowchilla, Fernwren,
Yellow-throated Scrubwren, Grey Whistler, Bower's Shrike-thrush, Bridled
Honeyeater, Spectacled Monarch, Pied Imperial and Topknot Pigeon, Brown
Cuckoo-Dove to name a few.

While staying there take a boat trip along on the Mossman or the Daintree and
see Great-billed Heron, Little Kingfisher and five species of kingfisher on the
one boat trip: Forest, Sacred, Azure, Collared and Little.

Then do a birding (snorkling for the family) trip to Michaelmas Cay! Great and
Lesser Frigatebird, Common Noddy (thousands), Lesser Crested Tern, Sooty Tern
(thousands), Black-naped Tern etc. It doesn't get any better - and is
surprisingly cheap. Have a look at my trip report site at
http://tim-dolby.blogspot.com/ for details on Cairns and Michaelmas Cay.

You could also do Darwin and Kakadu, but you probably want to get out of the NT.

Hope this help.

Cheers,

Tim Dolby