birding-aus

Hybrid Crimson/Eastern Rosellas [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

To: <>
Subject: Hybrid Crimson/Eastern Rosellas [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]
From: <>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 13:33:01 +1000
Dion Hobcroft wrote:
Also of note was a presumed hybrid Crimson-Eastern Rosella on Bird Route
No. 1 between Bega and Tathra. With big white cheeks rimmed in blue and
the lime yellow coloured rump and belly of an Eastern but otherwise
brilliant scarlet and paired with a Crimson it was a bit eyecatching!

Here in Canberra there are several areas of urban(ish) reserve where
hybrid Crimson/Eastern Rosellas are not uncommon. Their plumage varies
from predominantly Crimson to predominantly Eastern in type, but I have
noticed that whenever I see one of these hybrids "with" another rosella
it is always with a Crimson Rosella. Don't know why this would be. Has
anyone else observed anything similar?

Harvey

Dr Harvey Perkins
Science Collaboration and Awareness
Department of Innovation, Industry, Science and Research

Classification: UNOFFICIAL