birding-aus

Partners

Subject: Partners
From: Jill Dening <>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 13:53:05 +1000
Hi Denise,

The same thing happened to us on a Yellow Waters cruise years ago. We knew what the bird was, and we didn't give a hoot about scoring points. But we did care that the guide was giving out incorrect ID to passengers who deserved better. So afterwards we stayed back to offer the correction privately, also saying how much we had enjoyed his cruise. He wouldn't have a bar of it. He was right and we were wrong because we didn't come from the NT, and that's what they are called there. (It was a Tawny Frogmouth/Southern Boobook.) So we tactfully withdrew from his overwhelming ego. Later we checked with a birder in Darwin, who confirmed that he was talking rubbish.

But the lasting effect of that experience is that we have never again taken a guided birding tour.

Cheers,

Jill

Denise Goodfellow wrote:
When on one particular Yellow Waters cruise the guide misidentified birds, I
had to give correct ID's to my birdwatching group.  I tried to do this in a
way that wouldn't embarrass the guide eg, by quietly telling one of my
clients and asking them to inform the others in the group.

When others on the boat overheard two of my clients discussing a particular
bird they asked them whether the guide was right, and were referred to me.
It  wasn't a pleasant situation.

But Yellow Waters isn't the only problem.