birding-aus

blog for birding aus - birders behaving badly

To: kbrandwood <>
Subject: blog for birding aus - birders behaving badly
From: "Dave Torr" <>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 17:49:14 +1000
I think that is the problem - most birders are very aware of the environment
and the need to protect birds. Some may act a little more "recklessly" than
others to see birds but they try in general to do the right thing - I know
many birds put lots of effort into conservation, surveys and other work that
benefits birds. And lets face it - if there were no birders (and other
groups interested in "nature") then it is unlikely that there would be as
many places that are preserved for birds and other fauna and flora.
But as you say Keith - some birders will do anything - they might as well be
collecting train numbers! I am a Birding Pal (www.birdingpal.org) and take
many people from around the world to the Western Treatment Plant at Werribee
- 99% are amazed at the place but I always recall the American lady who saw
an Orange-bellied Parrot there, ticked it off her list and immediately
wanted to move to the next bird!