birding-aus

old binoculars

To: "'Denise Goodfellow'" <>, "'Michelle Plant'" <>, "'Birding Aus'" <>
Subject: old binoculars
From: "Gregory Little" <>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 16:41:27 +1000
Denise

Sounds good.

Greg Little

Greg Little - Principal Consultant
General Flora and Fauna
PO Box 526
Wallsend, NSW, 2287, Australia
Ph    02 49 556609
Fx    02 49 556671
www.gff.com.au

-----Original Message-----
From:
 On Behalf Of Denise
Goodfellow
Sent: Wednesday, 9 April 2008 3:34 PM
To: Michelle Plant; Birding Aus

Back in the late 1980s my Indigenous sisters and son, senior custodians
in
Arnhem Land, began talking to other relatives about birdwatching
tourism.
They had worked with me, liked my clients (mostly Americans), and
thought it
a great way of keeping people on their country, of making a little
money,
and of building bridges with balandas (white people).

It took twelve years for all the custodians to agree.  Familiar with the
pitfalls of just working with men, I designed the program so that women
and
families were very much involved. Knowing of me, communities the length
of
the Top End  asked to be included.

We started with a little funding from the NT Government and binoculars
donated by Birding Aussers.

Then the funding was dropped. Despite my 25 years as a guide/lecturer
and
the elders' thousands of years of incremental knowledge, we were deemed
"unqualified" to train.  And as I expected the new push for birdwatching
tourism in the Top End didn't include me.

However, my relatives have continued to approach me, and now we're
thinking
of starting again.  So if you're interested, hold onto your binoculars
for a
little while.  I'll be going to Arnhem Land in May or June.
Regards

Denise Lawungkurr Goodfellow
1/7 Songlark Street
BAKEWELL NT 0832
Ph. 61 08 89 328306
Birdwatching and Indigenous tourism consultant

http://web.mac.com/goodfellowdl
   http://www.ausbird.com

on 9/4/08 1:44 PM, Michelle Plant at  wrote:

> Judith et al...
>
> I sent a direct message to Greg, noting that I know of a fellow
working on a
> program to encourage young birders in Australia.  I will send him an
email and
> see if we cannot get something happening.
>
> Surely there might be a group servicing discount and maybe an
organisation
> that would help co-ordinate and fund this exciting venture!
>
> Michelle
> to:
Checked by AVG.
8/04/2008 5:03 PM