birding-aus

Wader queries

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Wader queries
From: "Trevor Ford" <>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 02:01:26 +1100
G'day,

I have a few wader queries and would be grateful for any info.

Ok, shorebird queries.

1. A male Ruff is considerably larger than a female Ruff (Reeve). In a
photograph of a single bird in non-breeding plumage, where there are no other
birds or other useful objects for a size comparison, is there any definitive
way of telling whether the bird is male or female?

2. How many of Australia's migratory shorebirds have self-feeding chicks and
can these be also fed by the parents?

3. What percentage of Australian Pratincoles migrate to northern Australia in
the winter and what percentage continue to New Guinea and Indonesia?

4. Do we all now consider button--quails to be shorebirds? Will they be
scurrying on to any count sheets, I wonder?

Cheers - Trevor.

Trevor Ford