birding-aus

Re: Rainbow Lorikeet range in the 1970s

Subject: Re: Rainbow Lorikeet range in the 1970s
From: L&L Knight <>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 17:35:58 +1000
There are large flocks of RLs roosting round the shopping centres at Mt Gravatt and Sunnybank in the evenings.

Regards, Laurie.

On 16/03/2008, at 3:36 PM, peter crow wrote:

Hello Bob,

You say " I know that the numbers of Rainbow Lorikeets in South East Queensland are much reduced now compared to those in the 1970s."

While I will not disagree with this as I have no basis for such a general comment I must disagree with it in many areas. On the eastern side of Brisbane and towards the Gold Coast I would consider there is almost a plague of Rainbow Ls. I know of at least seven roosts where thousands and I really mean thousands of them roost each night.

This is in three places  new since the seventies.

At my place at Carina we always saw some R Ls but not every day and certainly not in large numbers. Today it would be a strange day NOT to see somewhere near 100 fly over and to to see at least 20 in near by trees and gardens. That's every day of the year.

Peter