birding-aus

More Newcastle NSW area records from 2.3.08

To: <>
Subject: More Newcastle NSW area records from 2.3.08
From: Graeme Stevens <>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 20:22:41 +1100
Penny Brockman and I were originally heading for Wagtail Way on Ash Island
early in the morning but access was blocked by low loaders and other heavy
plant, so we abandoned the attempt having been told more plant was arriving and
if we were let through we may be unable to get out. Apparently others were let
through an hour later with no problem.  Clearly I need work on interpersonal
skills or better deodorant or something!

Anyway back at the rainforest regeneration site on the island a Grey Goshawk
made an overhead pass so that began to ease the pain.

We were just a tad late at the Stockton wader roost and the birds were already
out on the flats. Nevertheless there were several species in view with some
Bar-tailed Godwits coming into breeding plumage - two were flagged:
One with a yellow flag on the left leg (no band visible)
One with orange above dark green on the left leg and a yellow band visible on
the right. We understand this one would have been banded locally?

At the end of the North Breakwater at the Hunter entrance we had an excellent
view of a dark morph Arctic Jaeger, at one point directly overhead showing the
tail points beautifully.

An excellent day even if the Wagtails are still waiting
Graeme Stevens==============================www.birding-aus.org