birding-aus

Purple Swamphen Predation on Buff-Banded Rail

To: <>
Subject: Purple Swamphen Predation on Buff-Banded Rail
From: Graeme Stevens <>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 19:59:44 +1100
On Sunday (2nd March) Penny Brockman and I visited several locations around
Newcastle NSW and ended the day at the Shortland Wetland Centre, primarily to
check out the nesting Egrets and Ibis and anything else of interest.
At one point we noticed several Purple Swamphens feeding in swampy grassland -
and then one broke from the group carrying a dark coloured downy nestling which
we at first thought may be a Dusky Moorhen or Coot.
The Swamphen was then hotly pursued by two Buff-Banded Rails who continued the
chase across open ground and through thick cover until they were lost from
view. It seems sensible to assume that it was indeed a Buff-Banded Rail chick
that the Swamphen had taken.

While it is well recorded that Swamphens take eggs and young, the specific
species record may be of interest.
Graeme Stevens==============================www.birding-aus.org