birding-aus

More Newcastle NSW area records from 2.3.08

To: Graeme Stevens <>
Subject: More Newcastle NSW area records from 2.3.08
From: David Stowe <>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 21:35:55 +1100
Sorry to rub it in Graeme, but as one of those people that were let through the roadworks on Ash Island, we had distant but long views of the Yellow Wagtail yesterday. It was a Cumberland Bird Observers Club outing and the power of a line of 15 cars approaching plus some gentle persuasion by Greg Little did the job!

Yellow Wagtail was seen on Wagtail with numerous Black-fronted Dotterels, Pipits and a Red-kneed Dotterel. One male White-fronted Chat seen also.

Certainly a good spot for Raptors - we saw Hobby, Brown falcon, Swamp Harrier, Whistling Kite and Sea-Eagle - but didn't see the Grey Goshawk!
Pheasant Coucal was also a nice addition to the days list.

Stockton sandspit in the afternoon gave us Curlew Sandpipers, Bar- tailed Godwits, Eastern Curlew, Grey-tailed Tattler, Red-capped Plover, Red-necked Stint, Caspian and Crested Terns.

Many thanks to Greg for his leadership!

Cheers
Dave