birding-aus

Cooktown Slaty-backed Gull and other ID questions

To: Nikolas Haass <>, Mike Carter <>, Tony Russell <>, BIRDING-AUS <>
Subject: Cooktown Slaty-backed Gull and other ID questions
From: Mick Roderick <>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 17:28:29 -0800 (PST)
Nikolas, Mike, Jeff et al,

I feel I should reply as the initial "devil's advocate" for the possibility of
the bird being a hybrid. I would first of all like to point out that I never
suggested that the bird was actually a hybrid, but from an "outsider's"
perspective (ie not being involved with the rigorous ID exercise and certainly
not pretending to be), I just proposed the possibility basically to see if
people (especially those with expert knowledge) agreed that this bird could
actually be positively identified.

According to the majority of sources now, it appears that an ID has been
settled. But as Nikolas has asked here, has the possibility of it being a
hybrid been ruled out? Surely this would need to occur before anyone can be
certain of what it actually is. There appears to be much debate on many
"difficult to identify" Gulls and this is the main reason why I threw this into
the frey.

To put the advocate's hat on again (just for the sake of it), I have wondered
about similar ID problems for certain species such as the Diving Petrels. When
we look at these birds on a pelagic trip off Tasmanina, for example, obviously
all or the vast majority of them are going to be Common DP's...but until we
have the bird in the hand, how can we be certain that what we are looking at
are not South Georgian DP's?

Is a "positive ID" always such?

Just ID food for thought.

Mick Roderick