birding-aus

Mt St Joseph Pond - Victoria

To: <>, "birding aus" <>
Subject: Mt St Joseph Pond - Victoria
From: "Peter Shute" <>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 12:30:03 +1100
 wrote on Wednesday, 20 February 2008
10:53 AM:

> At the intersection of the northern track with the southern
> track, I was startled by plump little round feathery balls
> darting around my feet and, in one case, zooming up into the
> melaleuca - at least 8 Brown Quail.  I wasn't quick enough
> with the camera and their frantic scurrying in all directions
> didn't help.

I came past around 6pm and saw what I assume was the same group of quail
under the bushes opposite the railway tracks, about 20m from their west
end.  I've had glimpses of them under there before but this time they
were right at the edge and I saw them all running further in.

It would seem that they might be living under there, so it's worth
watching the edge of the bushes as you walk in and out from the pond.

Peter Shute