birding-aus

Re: Vagrant Gull = Eastern Siberian Gull

To: Mike Carter <>
Subject: Re: Vagrant Gull = Eastern Siberian Gull
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 00:21:10 +1100
Mike et Al,
Larus mongoliicus is on the Index of Organism Names http:// www.organismnames.com/ so the name is recognised by the International Commission on Zoological Names. This would indicate that L. mongolicus has been accepted as a full species. Clements 6th still lists it as L.vegae mongolicus and the on-line doesn't even list L. vegae. Of Monroe & Sibley 1993 I dont know. A very interesting taxonomic exercise, this, and an exciting first for Australia.

Carl Clifford