birding-aus

of companion animals and wildlife - especiallyoftheendangered variety

To: "Dave Torr" <>
Subject: of companion animals and wildlife - especiallyoftheendangered variety
From: "Peter Shute" <>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 11:04:41 +1100
Dave Torr wrote on Monday, 18 February 2008 10:43 AM:

> I think there is a lot more at stake for us (and I speak as a dog
> owner!). Dogs threaten species like the Hooded Plover and the Fairy
> Tern on their nesting grounds - both are endangered endemics (I
> think??) and rely heavily on undisturbed coastal areas.

Yes but to a non-birders these are the "unknown species" I referred to.
They're either invisible or look like seagulls to non-birders.  You'd
have to convince them not only that these species either already exist
in the area or might return to it, but that it's important that they do.
I was also thinking more about suburban parks than that kind of habitat.

> I am not sure what sort of "Agreement" we could have - I think all we
> can do is spread the message that dogs and birds do not mix well and
> whilst this may not matter too much in some areas in others it is
> critical to the species survival. I would point out that horses and
> 4WD on beaches are also large threats to these species!

I was thinking initially that we'd need the agreement of whoever runs
these clubs in order to even start getting our views through to their
members via their newsletters, etc.  I would imagine there might be a
bit of a seige mentality to get past.

As a not entirely relevant example, here's a quote from the secretary of
a motorcycle club from the article in yesterday's Age about the proposed
outer ring road being discussed in another thread:
"We have already lost one track used by the club for 30 years because an
environmental impact statement found the legless lizard and golden sun
moth there," said Ms Heaney.
"Now they want to build a freeway through it?"

Peter Shute