birding-aus

Melaleuca, Southwest Conservation Area

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Melaleuca, Southwest Conservation Area
From: Michael Todd <>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 23:16:01 +1100
Hello all,

The weekend before last I finally made it to Melaleuca, in the South
West Conservation Area, far SW Tasmania. I flew out on a Par Avion
flight, camped for a few days and then flew back. You can walk into
Melaleuca but I believe that it’s a six day walk- probably a 12 day walk
with my camera gear! Luck was with me and the weather was perfect until
my last morning. It will be a while before I get around to putting the
photos I took onto my website though.

My main target was of course, the Orange-bellied Parrot. Wow, what a
gorgeous little parrot! They would come into the feeder at the
observation station every morning and evening. Apart from that I would
see them occasionally flying over ahead while I was out and about. All
the next boxes that I looked closely at were occupied by Tree Martins.

I also managed to photograph Striated Fieldwrens, Southern Emuwrens and
Beautiful Firetails all of which were far more common and prominent than
any other places that I’ve visited. Each evening just after dark I would
hear Ground Parrots whistling out on the moors. On my last morning, I
took the opportunity to jump on a boat trip up to Bathurst Harbour from
Melaleuca Creek. Shortly after setting off from the jetty a Ground
Parrot flew in front of the boat and over the creek.

Some of the other birds present included Dusky Robin (with juveniles),
Yellow-throated Honeyeater, Black Currawong, Tasmanian Scrubwren,
Crescent Honeyeater, New Holland Honeyeater and White-bellied Sea-eagle.
Mammals included Eastern Quoll, Tasmanian Pademelon, Bennett’s Wallaby
and Common Ringtail Possum (more than I’ve seen anywhere else in Tasmania).

Cheers

Mick Todd

Michael Todd
Wildlifing: Images of Nature: www.wildlifing.com
Latest Images: Snares Penguin, New Zealand Snipe, New Zealand Falcon
PhD Candidate- Tasmanian Masked Owl
School of Zoology, University of Tasmania, Private Bag 05, Hobart, Tasmania 7001