birding-aus

Striated Fieldwrens- late summer dispersal?

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Striated Fieldwrens- late summer dispersal?
From: Michael Todd <>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 23:17:56 +1100
Hello all,

I’ve just returned from a fairly unsuccessful owling trip up to northern
and north-eastern Tasmania. However I did see and hear some interesting
things along the way.

At Gould’s Lagoon (on the Derwent River, near Austins Ferry) I heard a
Lewin’s Rail- the first one I’ve come across in eastern Tasmania so far.

Near Bashan Plains (near Waddamana- central Tasmania) I came across a
flock of Blue-winged Parrots feeding along a little used track in very
dry and mostly cleared sparsely grassy paddocks. Almost suitable for
P-wanderers! While watching this flock of parrots, I noticed a small
stocky bird perched on the fence. Closer examination revealed it to be a
Striated Fieldwren. When approached I realized that there were 2 birds.
They would leave the fence into the paddocks but they would run and jump
quickly, darting back to the roadside and slightly denser grass. I
hadn’t realized that they occurred in this sort of habitat. However, a
few weeks ago I did have a fieldwren in my backyard at Ranelagh, a good
5 km from the nearest sedgy wet habitats along the Huon River. I wonder
whether they disperse in late summer and occupy habitats that I wouldn’t
have though of as typical.

Near Holwell, 30 km NW Launceston I came across five frisky juvenile
Tasmanian Devils over a stretch of road of about 6 kilometres. This was
more devils than I’ve seen in total since I’ve been in Tassie.

Cheers

Mick Todd

Michael Todd
Wildlifing: Images of Nature: www.wildlifing.com
Latest Images: Snares Penguin, New Zealand Snipe, New Zealand Falcon
PhD Candidate- Tasmanian Masked Owl
School of Zoology, University of Tasmania, Private Bag 05, Hobart, Tasmania 7001