birding-aus

NSW - Sea watch from Magic Pt, Maroubra - 9th February 2008

To: "'Greg & Val Clancy'" <>, "'Edwin Vella'" <>, "'Birding-aus'" <>
Subject: NSW - Sea watch from Magic Pt, Maroubra - 9th February 2008
From: "Tony Palliser" <>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 15:48:16 +1100
Greg,
I am sure you have hit the nail on the head here and that your reasoning
does indeed suggest that White-necked Petrel would be the most likely
species off the NSW coast.

As for my "source" this was brought about because discussions with other
birders recently went something like this "if one cannot readily
separate the two in the field then chances are we could be dealing with
a species with similar migratory habits to that of the 'New Caledonian'
race of Gould's Petrel" and so, to add even more fuel to the fire (and I
think it was Mike that informed me here) the only specimen thus far in
the Sydney Museum is of a Vanuatu Petrel (I presume this is your one?).
So I started the thread to stir the pot.  Thanks for the detailed
information Mike - now to dig out my photos and see what I can make of
them.

Like Greg, I cannot stress enough how very difficult it is to judge size
in the field even when other species are available for comparison.
Seabirds can vary a great deal in size.  So let us all look very closely
at any White-necked Petrels.

Thanks for all the responses

Happy sea birding
Tony