birding-aus

NSW - Sea watch from Magic Pt, Maroubra - 9th February 2008

To: "Tony Palliser" <>, "'Edwin Vella'" <>, "'Birding-aus'" <>
Subject: NSW - Sea watch from Magic Pt, Maroubra - 9th February 2008
From: "Greg & Val Clancy" <>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 10:47:48 +1100
Hi Tony,

I would be interested to know who your source is as being the only living person to have seen the species in "the wild" (lying dead on the Pacific Highway, north of Port Macquarie, NSW!!) I have the opposite view. I am presuming that the 1927 American Museum of Natural History Expedition members, who collected the only other known specimens off Vanuatu, have passed on. I am also not sure of the veracity of the claim that one was observed from a ship in a harbour in Vanuatu but I was led to believe that it was not confirmed.

The roadkilled/storm blown specimen that I collected in 1983 north of Port Macquarie is still the only confirmed record of the Vanuatu Petrel in Australia. A recent injured bird cared for by WIRES appears to be a White-necked Petrel on measurement, although this is being confirmed as the specimen is being forwarded to the Australian Museum. The only other specimens that have been collected in Australia, two in the Ballina, NSW area, and I understand a couple in south-eastern Queensland, are all White-necked Petrels Pterodroma cervicalis. So on balance it would appear that most specimens observed off the NSW/Queensland coast would be White-necked but Vanuatu can't be ruled out. The entirely dark grey exposed primaries ventrally is a Vanuatu character but apparently does occur in some White-necked Petrels. Size is the best distinguishing character but this is difficult (? impossible) to tell in the field.

If anyone has different slant on this interesting saga please correct me.

Greg Clancy