birding-aus

I am a dog owner - I am not the enemy

To: "Cheryl Ridge" <>, <>
Subject: I am a dog owner - I am not the enemy
From: "Wendy" <>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 12:05:59 +1100
Hi Cheryl/All,
Good on you for taking a stand when you find dogs illegally off-lead.

There has been some considerable discussion on this topic before which I
won't revisit - it is in the archive.
Suffice to say - there is considerable evidence (though also research saying
opposite) that the scent/spoor of dogs and other predators (no doubt
ourselves included!) can discourage animals from an area. This may
particularly impact on diversity - some animals may cope fine .
As I wildlife photographer myself, I can't tell you my DELIGHT on occasions
to have spent ages stalking an animal for a photo only to have some
inquisitive off-lead dog 'help' (continuously) or come over just at the
crucial moment.
There is also the matter of TURDS too. Many dog owners do the right thing in
this regard, especially in 'natural' areas. This is another thrill for other
people wishing to observe nature - often with long-term odoriferous (foul)
reminders. There are no doubt  impacts for wildlife AND plants from these
too. I live on a popular dog-walking street. I have planted my naturestrip
but have lost plants to excessive dog piss. Also the ones (dogs) who do the
'token' excrement burial routine, digging up plants!

A few years ago I was involved in a local council committee discussing
on/off lead areas for dogs. This ended up with we, and council staff needing
security officers and police to protect us from one of the dog owners. He
also took to stalking the chair of the committee.

I'd better stop before I really get started!!

I TOO LIKE DOGS!
Wendy