birding-aus

Mount St Josephs Pond

To: "Chris Sanderson" <>
Subject: Mount St Josephs Pond
From: "Peter Shute" <>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 09:26:56 +1100
Chris Sanderson wrote on Tuesday, 22 January 2008 1:38 PM:

> The Baillon's Crake was directly across from the platform on the open
> ground at the edge of the water.  The Spotless Crake was more
> difficult, being at the far eastern end of the ponds, over the far
> side of the water.  This was the only good looking habitat for crakes
> (wet mud next to dense vegetation) and so I spent most of my time
> looking there.  I would think your best bet is to focus on the open
> mud areas at the base of reeds and dense veg rather than scan the
> whole edge.

I did that this morning, slow scanning the mud and fast scanning the
reeds, and christened my new tripod head (128RC) with another look at
the Lewin's Rail.  It came out of the reeds directly opposite the
platform and walked to the left then crossed over to the near side.  I
do think my previous slow scanning of the whole edge was causing me to
miss birds that came out for just a few seconds.

Also a few views of at Spotless Crakes in various spots, and what I
think was a Spotted Crake opposite the platform, but it was too quick
for me to be more than 90% sure.

Peter Shute