birding-aus

Tanami Desert Road

To: "Alistair McKeough" <>
Subject: Tanami Desert Road
From: David Stowe <>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 16:28:34 +1100
Hi Greg
From memory of our trip along the Tanami in 2003 (from Newhaven to Halls Creek) you won't have any dramas. As has already been mentioned it's basically a big dirt road fairly well maintained due to the mine vehicles going up there. No need for low range - pretty fast with the odd dip and corrugations (alot like the development road to Cape York). A good (but popular) place to camp along the way is one of the bores (Montecolina Bore??) where we had lots of Honeyeaters to wake up too.

Alistair - Clearance might only be quoted as 25mm less than a cruiser but have you looked under both? Alot more to it than the number. Only got the diffs to worry about rather than the whole underbody!Front and rear overhang are also alot worse for a Forester which can be more of an issue in the dips.
Sorry - please don't take this as trying to start a 4wd debate! :)

Wish i was coming with you mate!

Also price of fuel in 2003 at Rabbit Flat was $1.60 per litre!

Cheers
Dave