birding-aus

Re: Tanami Desert Road

Subject: Re: Tanami Desert Road
From: "Jonathan K" <>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 06:58:50 -0800
You'll get up there no worries, I drove it recently and would class it as one
of the best dirt roads
in Australia. Although it's not isolated (in season) it always pays to have
some supplies in case
you've got to sit out a spell of weather.

Camping areas that aren't visible from the road are a bit scarce (I dislike
camping in view of
roads), I can fill you in on a couple of spots if you're planning to camp.

Forester's are awesome little cars for short trips. I've seen them in quite a
few areas that people
would class as "4wd only" destinations. The best place I've seen one was in
Purnululu at the
beginning of the season when the river crossing was 600mm deep, though I would
guess that the driver
was familiar with the crossing.

Jonathan

ps. Someone mentioned getting somewhere without tyre deflation, quite often
it's done for the
longevity of the tracks rather than traction
pps. montecolina bore is on the strzlecki track (Australia's second best dirt
road :))