birding-aus

"Solitary" clifftop birding

To: Carol Probets <>, <>
Subject: "Solitary" clifftop birding
From: inger vandyke <>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 08:48:11 +0000
For those of you adventurous birding types, the summit of Mount Solitary
directly across the valley from where Carol was is a good place to see Glossy
Black Cockatoos.
The summit is crowned with She Oaks and the Glossies are mad for the seeds they
find in them up there.

A bit too windy and cold for much else around the summit though!

Cheers,  Inger Vandyke Natural History Writer and Photographer Publicity
Officer - Southern Oceans Seabird Study Association (SOSSA) Mob:  0402 286 437
www.ingervandyke.com > Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 19:36:08 +1100> To:
> From: > Subject: [Birding-Aus]
"Solitary" clifftop birding> > Hi all,> > Crescent Honeyeaters are showing up
in good numbers along the Prince > Henry Cliff Walk at Katoomba at the moment.
Yesterday afternoon I > watched them feeding in Banksia serrata flowers during
a quick stroll > before a storm came in. During this walk I was also approached
by an > inquisitive Rufous Fantail who came down and fanned its tail >
literally 60cm from my face, so that I could see every feather and > whisker!
There's a lot to be said for birdwatching quietly alone.> > A friend recently
told me he'd seen a Powerful Owl roosting in this > same area (near Solitary
Restaurant, Cliff Drive) last November, but > I could find no sign of it
yesterday.> > Right now, it's almost impossible to go a for a walk anywhere in
the > upper mountains without seeing at least a couple of Yellow-tailed >
Black-Cockatoos sailing past. They're everywhere!> > Katoomba is 100km west of
Sydney in the upper Blue Mountains.> > Cheers,> > Carol> > > -- >