birding-aus

"Solitary" clifftop birding

Subject: "Solitary" clifftop birding
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 19:36:08 +1100
Hi all,

Crescent Honeyeaters are showing up in good numbers along the Prince Henry Cliff Walk at Katoomba at the moment. Yesterday afternoon I watched them feeding in Banksia serrata flowers during a quick stroll before a storm came in. During this walk I was also approached by an inquisitive Rufous Fantail who came down and fanned its tail literally 60cm from my face, so that I could see every feather and whisker! There's a lot to be said for birdwatching quietly alone.

A friend recently told me he'd seen a Powerful Owl roosting in this same area (near Solitary Restaurant, Cliff Drive) last November, but I could find no sign of it yesterday.

Right now, it's almost impossible to go a for a walk anywhere in the upper mountains without seeing at least a couple of Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoos sailing past. They're everywhere!

Katoomba is 100km west of Sydney in the upper Blue Mountains.

Cheers,

Carol

--
Carol Probets