birding-aus

Twitching

To: <>
Subject: Twitching
From: "Nigel Harland" <>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 09:48:51 +1100
I have heard much of this "Big Twitch" stuff before and wondered why some
people try to suggest that we go birding simply to contribute to the body of
scientific knowledge.  I admire people who do, but I go birding for
different reasons.  I had a mild stroke about 6 years ago and I had to
retire somewhat prematurely.  I also forgot the names of most of the birds I
had ever seen.  However, I decided to start all over again and it has been
one of the best things I have ever done.  I still forget some of the names
but what I do provides me with endless pleasure.  In no way am I
contributing to the body of scientific knowledge.

I have seen the Grey-headed Lapwing, Javan Pond Heron, Black-tailed Gull,
Red-legged Crake, Lesser Yellowlegs and birds on Ashmore Reef.  This has
cost me money and I have taken up seats on planes, but I cannot begin to
tell you what pleasure I have derived from the experiences.  Please keep
birding in order to do whatever it is you want to do, but I would appreciate
as many tip-offs as you can spare.