birding-aus

DIY Birding Database

To: "Carl Clifford" <>
Subject: DIY Birding Database
From: "Peter Shute" <>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 15:47:29 +1100
According to http://www.eremaea.com/WhoIs.aspx?Culture=en-US:
*********************************
Storage and Backup
The Eremaea Birds database is stored on a computer maintained by WebCentral, an
internet service provider. WebCentral make backup copies of the database
several times daily.

You Can Backup Your Own Data
Eremaea Birds provides an Export option that enables you to download some or
all of your survey data to your own PC. This data is downloaded as a
comma-separated value (CSV) file. In this format, your data can be easily
imported into any database or spreadsheet program either for backup purposes or
for further processing.

What Happens To My Data If Eremaea Folds?
In the event of Eremaea Birds going out of business, you will be given the
opportunity to obtain a copy of your survey data as a CSV file. In addition,
the entire database will be archived with the Bird Observers Club of Australia
to use for wildlife conservation purposes.

I tested the Export option, and the resulting file looks like it could fairly
easily be used to import into other programs, and can be read by eye if
necessary.

Eremaea would be a pest to use if you didn't have easy internet access, but
apart from that I figure it's probably safer with them than on my own computer.

Peter Shute