birding-aus

I and the Bird

To: "Trevor Hampel" <>, "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: I and the Bird
From: "Peter Shute" <>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 10:57:03 +1100
It's true about not being able to post photos.  Photos are great.  But if
people were to put them all in a central place, like
http://www.aviceda.org/abid they'd be more accessible and searchable. That's
only applicable to bird photos, of course.

As for birding-aus only being for subscribers, anyone can search the archives
with no more difficulty that searching a blog, probably less.  Commenting is
harder, or course, if you aren't subscribed.

I also imagine that the birding-aus archives may be longer-lived than many
private blogs, expecially as it seems to be availiable at
http://groups.google.com.au/group/birding-aus?hl=en as well (not sure how far
back).

I'm not saying that blogs are useless, they have their place and are
occasionally very useful.  But I do find them to be a little overrated, and
I've always been puzzled that they suddenly seemed to be all the rage.  Like
someone suddenly realised you can put a date at the top of an article - a great
idea that was always available.

Peter Shute