birding-aus

brief WA-NT trip report

Subject: brief WA-NT trip report
From: Andrew Taylor <>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 09:15:10 +1100
I spent the first week of this month visiting the NT & Kimberley for
work.  A couple of sightings of good birds - but at well-known locations
so this message is mainly so the info gets added to the archive.

A stop at Pine Creek to stretch our legs produced 2 Hooded Parrots
in the park in the middle of town.  I haven't seen HPs on several
previous quick visits but there is always something to look at here.

I had a couple of days based near Cockatoo Lagoon in Keep River NP
(just behind the rangers station/visitors centre).  I didn't have time
to look for Gouldians etc but even with recent rains there seems to be
good numbers of finches - towards the end of the dry when standing water
is scarce this should be an excellent site for finches.

In WA after viewing the waterbirds from the hide at Marglu Billabong
(Parry Lagoons NP, south of Wyndham) I noticed several Yellow Chat feeding
around burnt areas.  I didn't have time to wander around but it looks a
likely location for interesting birds as well as the lovely views
of Brolga, Jabiru etc from the hide.

At Timber Creek I had half an hour to search for Purple-crowned Wrens
and found them about 100m west of the picnic area at Policemen's Point
(the river access west of town).  Then saw some more  flying across
the road just before you get to the boat ramp on the river access at
Victoria River.

We had to overnight in Darwin and stayed at a lovely B&B just south of
the airport: Grungle Downs (www.grungledowns.com.au).  It has grounds
full of Darwin suburban birds.

Andrew