birding-aus

Cairns - Long-toed stint, Pectoral SP?

Subject: Cairns - Long-toed stint, Pectoral SP?
From: Martin Cake <>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 13:12:50 +0900
Just been to Cairns and enjoyed the waders. There was a singe Long- toed Stint on the northern end of the esplanade on Tuesday 30th October, with a mixed flock of waders (mainly knots). Fairly red in colour, i.e. close to breeding plumage.

I also saw what I am almost certain was a Pectoral Sandpiper on the beach at Green Island Tuesday 30th, then what look to be exactly the same bird a few hours later on the Esplanade. Again a fairly reddish plumage especially the crown.

Anyone else seen these birds and could confirm the ID? I have some average photos I will try to post.

Martin