birding-aus

NSW-Sydney_Penhryn Estuary - interesting stint and others

To: <>
Subject: NSW-Sydney_Penhryn Estuary - interesting stint and others
From: "Frank Hemmings" <>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 10:27:49 +1100
Went to Penhryn estuary today, only migratory waders in the estuary itself were
Bar-tailed Godwits (don't know where the red knots or pacific Golden Plovers
were/are?).  Also of interest was a lone Little Egret in the estuary.  Walked
around to the bayside edge of the sandspit, saw 2 Red-capped Plovers, 5 Little
Terns and a group of 6 stints. 5 were Red-necked Stints and one other probably
was an unusual juvenile moulting into Immature (first winter?) plumage, but was
noticeably different from the others.  Unfortunately it was off the edge of the
group to begin with so never had it in the same field of view in the scope as
the others and was walking away from them (heading east).  Particularly
noticeable were: 1) thin white lines on mantle, not very visible when the bird
was "puffed" up; 2) a second cream-whitish (looked more cream but may have been
early morning light or not) line on  ?median coverst/upper scapulars, prominent
on the birds right side not noticeable on the left; 3) a few scapular/covert
feathers above the 'cream' line regoin (over both sides of body) with distinct
rufous margins, appearing rufous around the whole edge of the feather rather
than rufous on one side and more buff on the other as depicted in HANZAB; 4)
darker feathers below the cream line on ?Greater coverts.  Sorry but my
knowledge of all the areas of wing feathers isn't that good.  the overall
impression was of darker feathers on the 'lower' part of the wing and a cream
line, and a scattering of broadly rufous fringed feathers.  No chance to
compare bill/bill tip with the others by the time I had a good look.  Legs were
black so probably a red-necked Stint but at the risk of putting my neck out
there I thought it may have been a possible juvenile moulting  into first
winter plumaged Little Stint.  I'd be pleased if someone else saw it and told
me what they think it is.  If you take the road/track which heads out form the
car park to the bay, then walk straight out as the road bends, walk towards the
shore and go down the slope towards the sandspit you'll be in the same area.
Cheers.

Frank

PS: Sorry, I have no photos I don't take them, it's a real pain in a situation
like this

Other birds
(Mr.) Frank Hemmings
Curator
John T. Waterhouse Herbarium
School of Biological, Earth and Environmental Sciences
University of New South Wales
UNSW SYDNEY 2052
AUSTRALIA

Tel +61 2 9385 3274