birding-aus

Vale David Siems

To: Murray Lord <>
Subject: Vale David Siems
From: Penny Brockman <>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 13:35:57 +1000
Murray Lord wrote:
Sadly I have to let people know that David Siems died on Wednesday morning.  He
had been ill for some time.

David will be remembered for his reports from Devonport in Tasmania, where he
lived until earlier this year.  Prior to moving in Tasmania David lived in
Sydney where he was active in the bird clubs.

Others will have known David far better than I did. But in my experience he would happily go to a lot of trouble to help someone find a bird they wanted to see.
David saw 4190 species of birds in his life, something he was most proud of.

Murray Lord
I have very fond memories of David. Went on lots of walks and some overseas trips with him. A great companion, a spot-on spotter, and very patient with the few difficult semi-committed birders he had to encourage! He will be greatly missed by all of us who were lucky enough to know him and appreciate his great skills and company.

I particularly am sorry not to have made it to Tasmania when he was living there, and only heard of his acute medical condition last week. There is now a large hole in the birding community that we older birders will not be able to fill.