birding-aus

Forest Raven behaviour

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Forest Raven behaviour
From: Michael Todd <>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 16:40:00 +1100
Hello all,

I've noticed some interesting Forest Raven behaviour in the last week.

The first was at home at Ranelagh (30km South of Hobart, TAS). There were a pair of ravens taking turns "attacking" the rear end of a newly born calf. At least this was what it looked like. They must have been hitting fairly hard as the calf was reacting every time contact was made. They did it while it was standing and then when it was lying down also. Unfortunately I was too slow to get photos of it- the ravens had flew before I was ready to photograph. I wonder whether they might have been after remnants of afterbirth on the calf??

The second piece of behaviour was of a raven dunking what turned out to be a piece of bread into water before eating it. This was at the University.

Interesting birds.

Cheers

Mick Todd

Michael Todd
Wildlifing: Images of Nature: www.wildlifing.com
Latest Images: Shy Albatross, Buller's Albatross, Aust. Fur Seal
PhD Candidate- Tasmanian Masked Owl
School of Zoology, University of Tasmania, Private Bag 05, Hobart, Tasmania 7001
Mobile: o41o 123715