birding-aus

Sydney's Northern Beaches.

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Sydney's Northern Beaches.
From: "Bruce Cox" <>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 16:11:54 +1000
Hello Birding-aussers,

Yesterday (19 Th.) I found a female Little Bittern in the settlement ponds
adjacent to the Warriewood Wetland on Sydney's Northern Beaches. It was sunning
itself among the rushes on the southern end of the middle pond . That is the
same pond where I found one on the 2 Nd. Nov. last year. Last year's bird
(birds? some people saw two!) disappeared about the beginning of Dec. It would
be nice to think this situation was going to become a seasonal event.

At the time, I was lamenting that I hadn't seen or heard any reedwarblers, when
I saw this ochre coloured blob. "Ah- at last , a
reedwarbler" I said, but when I put my bins on it -- well! I got a big surprise.

Other nice birds on the morning were a female Swamp Harrier being pursued by a
grey phase and a white phase grey Goshawk. I think the goshawks are nesting In
or near the wetland. As I was leaving a Buff-banded Rail with immaculate
plumage fed across the track in front of me.

I have a retraction to make, I said the Narrabeen Ospreys had two chicks but I
am now sure they have only one. I thought I saw a second head but since then
there has been no evidence of a second (or other) chick(s). The chick is quite
big now, not much tail but the wings and body are covered with brown
pinfeathers. When the mum is not sitting on the chick it is clambering around
the nest, even up onto the rim, stretching it's wings and looking around for
dad.

However, still a long way to go yet.

Bruce.

Bruce Cox on Sydney's Northern Beaches.