birding-aus

Mystery bird - with photos now

To: <>
Subject: Mystery bird - with photos now
From: "Peter Shute" <>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 09:37:12 +1000
I snuck out early this morning with a camera and finally managed to find
it again about 5 minutes before I had to get home to get ready for work.
That meant I didn't have time to try to get good, close shots, and had
to just take what I could get.

I assume it's the same bird, because it was doing the same things in
exactly the same location, but this time I'd say it was brown above and
light grey below.  Perhaps the light was different last time for my
first glimpse.  I was also wearing glasses, rather than the trial
contact lenses I was wearing when I first saw it - I might start a
thread about that.

The bill was small, straight and fine and I think I saw a suggestion of
a light brow, so I'm thinking now that it must be a non-breeding male
White-winged Triller.  Not sure how that fits in with having a couple of
males nearby in breeding plumage.  I it usual to have a mix of plumages
around?

The big problem is the white edges I thought I saw on the tail.  I saw
this again, but it's very fine and I'm wondering if it could just be
early morning light glinting off the edge.  Has anyone seen that happen?

If anyone could please try to confirm the id for me, the four blurry
photos are at:
m("N00","//www.flickr.com/photos/29752866");">http:

The 3rd photo (0936c) kind of shows the white edge on the tail.

Other interesting birds that were around:
Horsfield's Bronze-cuckoo
Baillon's Crake
Song Thrush - the first I've seen here.

Peter Shute