birding-aus

RFI; Port Macquarie NSW

To: <>
Subject: RFI; Port Macquarie NSW
From: "Marlene Lyell" <>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 07:02:28 +1000
Hi All,

    I will be in Port Macquarie from 17th to 20th October and would
appreciate any suggestions for good birding areas. I have not been in this
area before and will have Thursday & Friday available for birding.

If there are any local birders who would like a few hours or so out birding
on those days, that would be great.  Otherwise I could hire a car and travel
further afield if recommended.

I have a few ideas thanks to contributors who have posted on birding -aus,
I have also downloaded the excellent Birdwatching Spots produced by the
Hastings Birdwatchers.

Sea Acres NR:   In a few of the postings, this area appears to be suffering
from the drought.  Is this still the case or would it be better to try
elsewhere for any of my 'wish list'?.

Kooloonbung Creek.  Recommended in postings

WADERS:  Is there a good area for wader watching?  We'll be travelling up in
a small sports car, which will not be available on the Thursday/Friday, so I
would prefer not to bring the telescope & tripod if not required. Space will
be at a premium.

Botanic Gardens: Recommended.

Wish List (from Birdwatching Spots brochure)

King Quail

Sooty, Masked & Grass Owls (anyone for a spotlighting trip?)

Rufous Scrubird

White-cheeked Honeyeater

Logrunner

Paradise Riflebird

Green Catbird

Tawny Grassbird.

I would be grateful for any further information

Thanks

Marlene.