birding-aus

striated pardalote at Mt Cootha and a banded magpie

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: striated pardalote at Mt Cootha and a banded magpie
From: Scot Mcphee <>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 08:37:26 +1000
Tuesday 25 September in the morning we went for a walk around Mt Cootha, in Brisbane. Best sighting of note was a Striated Pardalote displaying and calling in full view on a small branch at chest height just off the Aboriginal Art trail (near the small narrow steps that lead down to the creek with the rock art). We got to within 3 or 4 metres of the bird. Unfortunately my movement to bring the video camera up caused the bird to scurry off to a safer perch higher in the canopy. The striated is a life-list for me. There was also a very active Brown Gerygone nearby on the main trail.

I did get some brief video footage of a Pale-Headed Rosella taking a bath in the creek near the JC Slaughter falls picnic area. It's a bit shaky (sorry no tripod on this walk) http://www.youtube.com/watch? v=WYndP9Ute7Y ... it's also got a Currawong getting food from its cache and an aggressive Brush-Turkey.

Also just the other day (Monday 1 October), I was walking to work along Haig Rd Auchenflower opposite Torwood park (in inner-west Brisbane) and walked part one of the local magpies perched on a fence looking rather dazed with it's beak slightly open, seemingly staring at the sky. The magpie had a silver metal band on its right leg and two white plastic bands on the left. I thought the bird was sick or had some other problem, he was fluffed up a bit too. However when I asked "what's the matter maggie?" and reached out to the magpie it flew up OK to a nearby tree. However if anyone knows why this magpie is banded and who banded it can they pass this sighting on? This magpie is an inhabitant of the area, I've seen it around before.

regs
scot