birding-aus

RFI: Shepparton area birding

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: RFI: Shepparton area birding
From: Keith Stockwell <>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 12:52:18 +1000
Good afternoon all,

In answer to Bruce's request, and in case others are interested, the
Goulburn Murray Branch of BOCA is based in Shepparton. Secretary is Don
Roberts of Mooroopna.

There are also BOCA branches based on Albury-Wodonga and Echuca-Moama.

The Echuca and District Branch has a web site with downloadable pdf
brochures about local birding spots plus photos of local birds. There is
also a downloadable newsletter on the Echuca site which lists forthcoming
outings.

The Echuca and District web site has information about local conservation
parks and reserves. http://users.mcmedia.com.au/~stocky/boca_echuca.html

One is unlikely to observe Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoos, Gang Gangs or
Lyrebirds near Shepparton. For these, you need to go east  e.g. into the
Strathbogies.

Blue Bonnets are often observed to the north-west in places like Goschen
Reserve and Tresco West Bushland Reserve. These reserves are listed on my
local parks/reserves page, a link to which is on the Echuca BOCA home page.
Blue Bonnets are sometimes observed on the plains north of Deniliquin and
north of Barham.

Keith Stockwell
Echuca-Moama.